The human brain is like a muscle that needs to be exercised regularly in order to improve its health. A healthy brain means having a good memory, excellent recall, quick thinking and ability to make sound judgments. There are many ways on how to self improve mental health. Here are five great ideas that can surely boost brain health.
1) Challenge yourself to a mental game. Finding a mental game is actually not that hard. It’s practically everywhere, from the newspaper to your cellular phone. Crossword puzzles can be found in newspapers on a daily basis. Today’s cellphones now have applications such as Sudoku, Text Twist and other word and number games. The internet has a vast archive of mentally challenging games to play. One can also find some brain challenging children’s toys that’s fit even for adults. Mental exercises do not need to be hard and can in fact be fun. It’s a productive pastime when waiting in line or simply killing time.
2) Read something every day. Some people just don’t read enough these days. Reading is one of the best methods on how to self improve mental health. It helps a person gain knowledge and improve vocabulary. There are lots of things to read such as books, magazines and online articles. Any reading material that helps a person learn something new will be very beneficial for the brain.
3) Learn a new language. There are many advantages to learning a new language that can help a person in many levels on how to self improve. It enriches a person’s understanding of another culture. It adds to a person’s value when it comes to applying for a job. Speaking a foreign language adds to a person’s charm. Finally, it helps a person work his or her brain to the fullest.
4) Memorize things daily. There are lots of things to memorize on a daily basis. It could be a song lyrics, a poem, a prayer, a chant on how to self improve, or even the grocery list. Memorizing things is a good daily training for the brain. This is a very effective method for the elders to help keep their cognitive abilities.
5) Switch hands when doing simple activities. The right side of the brain processes music, creativity, intuition, art and left hand control. The left side of the brain processes logic. Language, reasoning, analytic thought, numbers and right hand control. According to the Franklin Institute, switching hands when doing simple tasks such as brushing your teeth, holding the computer mouse, wiping something or dialing the telephone helps work our both the left and right areas of the brain.
As a person grows older, brain cells die at a faster rate. Older people tend to forget things and process information more slowly. Exercising the brain regularly can help decrease these brain deterring consequences of growing old. Having a regular or even a random routine on how to self improve brain functions will help improve brain health as a person ages.