With so much going on in the news lately about healthcare and medicine I couldn’t resist putting together a quiz about medicine, health care, and other medical related topics. In the news today I read about the senate and the health care reform, swine flu vaccine recalls, and promising new cancer treatments. Medicine is racing toward the future at a breakneck speed, so lets slow down and enjoy a good old fashioned Trivia quiz.
1. What type of microbe causes the common cold?
2. What kind of food poisoning can be caused by eating half-cooked poultry?
A: Salmonella poisoning.
3: Which body fluid is affected by thalassemia?
4. Which insect transmits malaria?
5. What kind of contraceptive is the best protection against sexually transmitted diseases?
6. Who developed vaccination against smallpox?
7. What is the main organ affected by a stroke?
8. What is the disease in which normal clotting of the blood is slowed or stopped completely?
9. Diabetes results from a failure to secrete which hormone?
10. Which agency of the United Nations exists to fight and eradicate disease?
A: World Health Organization.
11. The tree Salix alba was used in the preparation of which drug?
12. Malarial parasites live in which part of the mosquito?
A: Salivary glands.
13. Diabetes insipidus affects which organ?
14. Which disease, targeted by the World Health Organization, was eradicated by 1980?
15. What is the name given to a statistician who calculates life expectancy, etc. for an insurance company?
16. Dopamine acts on which ;part of the body?
17. Hodgkin’s disease is what type of disease?
18. English writer D H Lawrence died of which disease?
19. Amniocentesis is used in which field of medicine?
20. The T cells of the human immune system mature in which gland?
21. Where would you find the pisiform bone?
22. Which protein forms hair and nails.
23. Of what do we have 52 in a lifetime, 20 of which are deciduous?
24. What is the substance produced by hard exercise and oxygen debt, causing stiffness in the muscles?
A: Lactic Acid.
25. What are the natural pain-killing substances produced in the brain and pituitary gland?
26. What is the substance that the body over-produces in an allergic reaction to pollen?
27. Which three bones are collectively known as the auditory ossicles?
A: Hammer; anvil; stirrup.
28. What is an overgrowth of fibrous tissue, usually produced at the site of a scar?
29. What is the pigment that colors skin?
30. What is the colored muscle that responds involuntarily to light?
31. What is the name of the membrane enclosing the fluid around the fetus?
A: Amnion: amniotic membrane.
32. Which is the only vein in the body to carry oxygenated blood?
A: Pulmonary vein.
33. What is the oxygen-carrying protein found in the red blood cells of the body?
34. What are the chemicals produced by the endocrine glands to control body functions?
35. Which part of the eye contains about 137 million light-sensitive cells in one square inch?
36. What is the ring of bones at the hip called?
A: Pelvic Girdle.
37. Which human body organ weighs about 2 kilos?
38. What is the more common name for the tympanic membrane?
A: Ear drum.
39. What is the fluid that lubricates and cushions the moveable joints between the bones?
A: Synovial fluid.
40. What is the colorless liquid, consisting of plasma and white cells, which bathes the body tissues?