The therapeutic benefits of aloe vera were revealed more than 4000 years ago, both on an Egyptian papyrus dating back to 1550 BC and a Sumerian tablet dating back to 2100 BC. Some records even reveal that it was used by Cleopatra in order to protect her skin from the sun’s rays.
The properties of the aloe vera have also been found in ancient Chinese and Indian records. Likewise, legend has it that Alexander the Great conquered the Socotra Island, now a part of Yemen, in the Indian Ocean, primarily to ensure the uninterrupted supply of this healthy plant, in order to heal the wounds of soldiers injured in battles. According to ancient records, it was also used in some European countries as well.
Aloe vera, also known as Aloe barbadensis, is a medicinal plant that belongs to the desert lily family. Nowadays, it is available in a myriad of forms including sprays, gels, lotions, ointments, and sometimes even in the form of capsules.
This medicinal-value plant has been discovered to be an effective remedy for a variety of diseases such as ulcers, heat burns, fever, digestive disorders, and several skin injuries such as burns and lacerations.
Whether it is used internally or externally, the aloe vera plant is highly beneficial for your health, as it contains a range of essential ingredients such as amino acids, enzymes, proteins, minerals, mano-saccharides as well as poly-saccharides, salicylic acid, sterols, and vitamins including vitamin B-12. Perhaps for these reasons, aloe vera is sometimes referred to as a “natural healer” or a” miracle herb”.
The aloe leaf usually takes after a cactus and primarily consists of four layers: the outer layer known as the rind; the bitter fluid layer, namely, the sap; the inner portion known as the gel; and the mucilage. Studies reveal that the plant consists of more than 400 species.
1. Since it has soothing properties, it is highly beneficial for healing burns and wounds.
2. The application of aloe gel is considered very effective in reducing itching and pain due to psoriasis.
3. It is also considered valuable in alleviating chronic joint and muscle pains due to such problems as tendonitis and arthritis.
4. As it can stimulate collagen as well as elastin synthesis, it is effective in preventing early signs of aging.
5. Restoration of immune system, i.e., application of this therapeutic plant on the skin reduces the chances for developing skin disorders from exposure of the sun’s rays.
6. Above all, it is a great moisturizer, i.e. it possesses the properties to hydrate and soften the skin.
1. The intake of aloe juice is considered to be one of the more effective remedies for gastrointestinal, ulcerous, and intestinal-related problems such as diarrhea and constipation.
2. Aloe vera juice is also considered effective in killing bacteria and fungus within the body.
3. It contains several useful ingredients such as zinc and super oxide dismutases, and hence serves as a good antioxidant.
3. Further, the presence of salicylic acid in the plant allows it to serve as one of the best medicines to combat inflammation and high fever.
4. With detoxification properties, this healthy plant is advantageous in preventing liver and kidney-related ailments.
5. Due to its medicinal properties, the intake of aloe vera is even regarded as effective in preventing such devastating ailments as arthritis, cancer, and diabetes.
6. This plant is also beneficial in improving the blood’s circulation throughout the body.
As you can see there are many benefits to this healthy plant, so it is wise to always have some on hand, and if you happen to have a green thumb they also make wonderful plants, and think of the money you will save. Whenever you need relief from a burn, just cut a little piece off and rub it directly onto the burned area, and feel the relief immediately.