Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna)
Arjuna or Terminalia arjuna is a unique herb that helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness. Arjuna promotes effective cardiac functioning and has been the herb of choice in Ayurveda for cardiovascular health. Arjuna supports normal heart function, heart muscle energy, platelet function, and blood pressure levels. Its principle constituents are Beta-sitosterol, ellagic acid and arjunic acid The bark of the Terminalia Arjuna tree has a long history of use as a cardiac tonic as well, and has been indicated in the treatment of coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypercholesterolemia and for relief of Anginal pain. Additionally, It has been found to have antibacterial and Antimutagenic properties.
- Botanical Name -Terminalia Arjuna
- Family Name – Combretaceae
- Common (Indian) Names:
- Hindi: Arjun, Arjuna, Koha, Kahu, Arjan
- Gujrati: Arjun – Sadada, Sadado
- Canarese: Bili-Holo-Nir-Tora Matti, Maddi
- Marathi: Arjuna, Arjun Sadada, Sadura
- Sanskrit: Arjuna, Dhanvi, Indradruma, Kakubha, Karvirak.
- Oriya: Arjuna, Sahajo
- Tamil: Vellamatta
- Telugu: Yerra maddi
- Assam: Orjun
- Bengali: Arjhan
- Punjabi: Arjuna
- Part Used -Bark
- Useful Parts-Every parts useful medicinal properties Arjun holds a reputed position in both Ayurvedic and Yunani Systems of medicine. According to Ayurveda it is alexiteric, styptic, tonic, anthelmintic, and useful in fractures, uclers, heart diseases, biliousness, urinary discharges, asthma, tumours, leucoderma, anaemia, excessive prespiration etc. According to Yunani system of medicine, it is used both externally and internally in gleet and urinary discharges. It is used as expectorant, aphrodisiac, tonic and diuretic.
- Ayurvedic Medicinal Properties: Rasa: Kashaya, Tikta Guna: Lakhu, Rooksha Virya: Seeta
- Product Offered – Bark
- Active Compounds – alkaloids and with anoloids
- Habitat – Terminalia Arjuna is a deciduous tree (about 60-70 feet height), is abundantly found in India and Ceylon, also in Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
Modern medical sciences have progressed a lot in its fight against aliments concerning heart. Day by day, the numbers of heart patients are increasing. A number of medications starting from Aspirin to sophisticated open heart surgeries are now a days common in developed countries. In spite of the ultramodern technologies and the awareness programs, heart diseases like Angina pectoris and Myocardial Infraction are till today creating alarming situations in the society.
If we consider the traditional herbal system of medicine in India- Ayurveda, we will come to know that Ancient medical scientists have mentioned the remarkable cardio protective, heart muscle strengthening properties of Arjuna herb.
Uses of arjuna:
- Arjuna acts as a natural tune-up for your heart
- Arjuna supports normal heart function, heart muscle energy, platelet function, and blood pressure levels
- Arjuna’s ability to support the blood’s absorption of lipids indicates it has cholesterol-regulating properties
- Arjuna helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness.
Cardiomyopathy like Myocardial infraction, angina, coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension. In case of heart attack though it can not act against, like streptokinase or eurocents, but regular use of it after just recovering from heart attack, reduces the chance of further attack to a great level. Besides no such Toxicity or side effects has so far be found it can be advocated to use in regular basis for a strong and well functioning heart.
Arjuna can help lower Cholesterol as much as 64% – people taking Arjuna preparation saw their LDL levels plummet by an average of 25.6%. In animal studies with extremely high blood fats, LDL levels dropped from 493 to 162 ,after 60 days. That is a whopping 64 percent drop. Plus, HDL cholesterol (the good stuff) actually increased.
Arjuna reduces angina episodes much better than nitroglycerin – In one study, angina episodes were cut in half by the Arjuna, with none of the nasty side effects. Plus, it can be used as long as you like, without fear it will stop working.
Arjuna has been shown to help reverse hardening of the arteries..
Traditional Ayurvedic Uses:
The arjuna bark has been used in traditional Ayurvedic herbalism for several centuries as a heart tonic, similar in use to hawthorn in the West.
Arjuna Side Effects:
Since arjuna has a powerful effect on heart muscle, it should be taken for angina or congestive heart failure only after consulting a physician.
It is considered among the best of all substances for balancing Vata. It also pacifies Kapha at the same time, which is a rare combination.
- Powder : 3-6 gm two or three times a day with milk or water.
- Extracted juice : 10-20 ml two or three times a day with sugar or honey or milk.
- Decoction : 20-40 ml two times a day in the concentration of 1:2
- Kshirpaka : 5-20 gm two times a day.
Arjuna Health Benefits::
- Hypolipidemic: enhances the elimination of cholesterol by accelerating the turnover of LDL-cholesterol in the liver. Lowers beta-lipoprotein lipids and the recovery of HDL components in hyperlipidemia.
- Cardiac stimulant: Strengthens the heart muscles and maintains the heart functioning properly.
- Hypotensive: Due to its hypolipidemic activity and also the diuretic property it acts against hypertension.
- Astringent & Haemostatic…
- Has prostaglandin enhancing and coronary risk modulating properties.
Stem Bark, Powder, Extract
For More info log on to http://www.ayurvedayogashram.com/arjuna.asp