Because our smile is one of the first features people will notice, we want to keep our teeth looking their best. Many people have taken advantage of procedures that fix or improve their teeth. If you have a gap in your front teeth and do not find that it makes you look good, there are ways that you can have it fixed. Below are a number of methods used to fix a gap in your front teeth:
1. Teeth Effect Bands: This method makes use of a band that works much like a rubber band. The band is wrapped around the teeth that are situated on either side of the gap. Over time, the band pulls the teeth toward one another, thus closing the gap. Teeth Effect Bands are an affordable choice.
2. Bonding (White Fillings): This method involves a three step process. The first step involves applying a gentle acid on the front teeth. The second step involves applying a plastic bonding substance. The consistency of the plastic bond is doughy so it can be fashioned to the appropriate shape. The third step involves using a high intensity light to harden the plastic bond. The result is a natural and durable bond.
3. Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are thin and light shell-type porcelain pieces with thickness that is much like artificial fingernails. They are normally bonded to the tops and front of the teeth. When installed, they look much like the rest of the teeth. Veneers are strong and durable and very little tooth structure is removed in order to fit them properly on the teeth. They are quite expensive and will take 2 appointments to complete.
4. Orthodontics Braces: This process involves using small brackets and bonding them to the front of the teeth. Wires are then used to give weight to move the teeth and close the gap. The procedure does not involve removing any part of the tooths structure. They are normally worn for 18 to 36 months. There are different types of braces to suit different ages. Although not technically braces, there are clear plastic trays available that one will wear in the mouth to close the gap. They are normally worn for about 9-15 months.
5. Crowns: Crowns can be used if the gap is quite wide. They are made up of either porcelain and metal, or porcelain only, or metal only. Crowns are strong and durable. This method of closing the gap is not as common as the other methods.
In recent years, the field of cosmetic dentistry has made a number of amazing advancements in fixing teeth. If you are not happy with a gap between your front teeth, there are a number of repair options available. The price of each method will vary so it is important to consult with your dentist to discuss prices and assess what method is appropriate for your particular situation. The size of the gap is a factor in determining the type of method you will use. As well, the time it takes to seal the gap will vary. For instance, porcelain veneers closes the gap right away and braces takes months. Once you have made your decision, it will not be long before you are flashing your big beautiful smile.