Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna)
Arjuna or Terminalia arjuna is a unique herb that helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness. Arjuna promotes effective cardiac functioning and has been the herb of choice in Ayurveda for cardiovascular health. Arjuna supports normal heart function, heart muscle energy, platelet function, and blood pressure levels. Its principle constituents are Beta-sitosterol, ellagic acid and arjunic acid The bark of the Terminalia Arjuna tree has a long history of use as a cardiac tonic as well, and has been indicated in the treatment of coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypercholesterolemia and for relief of Anginal pain. Additionally, It has been found to have antibacterial and Antimutagenic properties.
- Botanical Name -Terminalia Arjuna
- Family Name – Combretaceae
- Common (Indian) Names:
- Hindi: Arjun, Arjuna, Koha, Kahu, Arjan
- Gujrati: Arjun – Sadada, Sadado
- Canarese: Bili-Holo-Nir-Tora Matti, Maddi
- Marathi: Arjuna, Arjun Sadada, Sadura
- Sanskrit: Arjuna, Dhanvi, Indradruma, Kakubha, Karvirak.
- Oriya: Arjuna, Sahajo
- Tamil: Vellamatta
- Telugu: Yerra maddi
- Assam: Orjun
- Bengali: Arjhan
- Punjabi: Arjuna
- Part Used -Bark
- Useful Parts-Every parts useful medicinal properties Arjun holds a reputed position in both Ayurvedic and Yunani Systems of medicine. According to Ayurveda it is alexiteric, styptic, tonic, anthelmintic, and useful in fractures, uclers, heart diseases, biliousness, urinary discharges, asthma, tumours, leucoderma, anaemia, excessive prespiration etc. According to Yunani system of medicine, it is used both externally and internally in gleet and urinary discharges. It is used as expectorant, aphrodisiac, tonic and diuretic.
- Ayurvedic Medicinal Properties: Rasa: Kashaya, Tikta Guna: Lakhu, Rooksha Virya: Seeta
- Product Offered – Bark
- Active Compounds – alkaloids and with anoloids
- Habitat – Terminalia Arjuna is a deciduous tree (about 60-70 feet height), is abundantly found in India and Ceylon, also in Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
Modern medical sciences have progressed a lot in its fight against aliments concerning heart. Day by day, the numbers of heart patients are increasing. A number of medications starting from Aspirin to sophisticated open heart surgeries are now a days common in developed countries. In spite of the ultramodern technologies and the awareness programs, heart diseases like Angina pectoris and Myocardial Infraction are till today creating alarming situations in the society.
If we consider the traditional herbal system of medicine in India- Ayurveda, we will come to know that Ancient medical scientists have mentioned the remarkable cardio protective, heart muscle strengthening properties of Arjuna herb.
Uses of arjuna:
- Arjuna acts as a natural tune-up for your heart
- Arjuna supports normal heart function, heart muscle energy, platelet function, and blood pressure levels
- Arjuna’s ability to support the blood’s absorption of lipids indicates it has cholesterol-regulating properties
- Arjuna helps maintain a healthy heart and reduces the effects of stress and nervousness.
Cardiomyopathy like Myocardial infraction, angina, coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension. In case of heart attack though it can not act against, like streptokinase or eurocents, but regular use of it after just recovering from heart attack, reduces the chance of further attack to a great level. …